Sin título-2-Recuperado

Visita Guadalcanal

Church Santa María de la Asunción


On the site occupied by the parish church, the primitive Muslim fortress was built, from the Almohad period, of which only a piece of wall next to the chancel of the church has survived, with a pointed horseshoe arch framed by an alfiz.


In our century, specifically in 1931, the clock tower was built. Other parts of the church, such as the doorway and the tower, also date from this period of transition between the 15th and 16th centuries. A Gothic-Mudejar temple, built of ashlars and brick, with a rectangular floor plan and divided into three naves divided into four sections by means of cruciform pillars, topped by very simple capitals in the form of cavettos, which support pointed arches.


The central nave communicates through a pointed toral arch with the presbytery or main chapel made up of two bays, both covered with Gothic ribbed vaults. As the 16th century progressed, work continued on the church. The chancel chapels of the side naves were built. The 17th century saw the construction of the sacristy. In the 18th century, the construction of the choir, at the foot of the church, and the reform of the roofs of the naves must have been undertaken.


The parish church of Santa María today houses within its walls a series of works, largely of modern execution, which have come to fill the void left by the disappearance of the previous pieces in 1936. The current main altarpiece, executed in 1955, houses a series of paintings by Rafael Blas Rodríguez. In the attic there is a 16th century sculpture of the Crucified Christ, and two late 16th century panels representing St. Peter and St. Paul and the Last Supper. Of great interest is the altar frontal, made of Sevillian tiles, dated around 1600.


The chapel at the head of the left nave is closed, on the front facing the main chapel, by means of an interesting Renaissance grille dating from the end of the 16th century. In the nave there are a number of modern series of images, such as those of San Antonio, San Isidro Labrador, Virgen del Pilar, San Rafael, Virgen Milagrosa and Virgen de Fátima, as well as a canvas of the Ánimas. The baptismal font, in Mudejar style and dating from the 14th century, is very interesting.


In the opposite nave, apart from some 16th century wrought iron railings, there are some altarpieces and various sculptures. Finally, mention should be made of the church’s collection of goldsmith’s pieces, dating from the 16th to the 19th centuries. The altarpiece is made up of elements from several of the old church of San Sebastián in this city. The front of the main altar is very interesting, with its embroidered tiles and gold and blue reflections. The side chapel – the Gospel nave – with its clumsily painted oval vault, belongs to the Renaissance, and the other side chapel – the Epistle nave – also Renaissance, is enclosed by two interesting grilles.


The immediate chapel has an interesting grille, composed with Decadent Gothic elements, in the chapel of the Virgin of Guaditoca, a grille with the inscription: De Nª Sª de Guaditoca a devoción de D. Tomás Ramos siendo mayordomo. Year 1925. Ceramic altarpiece and image of the patron saint, the work of Illanes. The holy water font is a Roman capital from the 2nd or 3rd century. In the sacristy, remains of a coffered ceiling and horseshoe arch. In an outbuilding of the church there are two panel paintings representing the Sacramental Supper and the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul, very Romanesque, which may date from around 1600. It is currently the only one that is open for worship.

Click here for directions