Sin título-2-Recuperado

Visita Guadalcanal

Ermita Ntra. Sra. of Guaditoca


The old 14th century Sanctuary was built in the municipality of Azuaga and D. Enrique Infante de Aragón, Grand Master of the Order of Santiago, ceded part of the municipality of Azuaga to Guadalcanal on 10th April 1428. There were debates and disputes between the two towns, for which the Grand Master appointed judges, who gave a clarifying sentence on 20 November 1469, in favour of Guadalcanal, which was subsequently confirmed by the Catholic Monarchs in 1494.


Don Alonso Carrasco de Ortega, a descendant of the conquerors of Extremadura, and his wife Doña Beatriz de la Rica, ordered the construction of a new Sanctuary. Work began in 1638 and was completed in 1647. The paintings of the Sanctuary were made by the painter Brieva de Llerena, in 1800. He was assisted by his son. The metallic lustre tiles on the main altar date from 1913. It was not until 24 May 1792 that the annual pilgrimage was instituted. Before that, the Virgin only came to the village in exceptional cases of calamity.


The chapel was built in 1718 and completed in May 1719. On the front wall there is a mural of the Virgin as she was dressed in the 18th century, next to her is the Virgin and Child, Saint Joseph, Saint Joachim and Saint Ignatius. On the right wall there is a painting, possibly the Marquis of San Antonio. The Infant Bellotero dates from 1300. On 4 September 1722, Philip V granted by Royal Decree, signed in Balsaín, the Patronage and Administration of the Sanctuary of Guaditoca, in favour of the Marquis of San Antonio and Mira del Río, Don Alonso de Ortega y Toledo.


XIX, Our Lord Jesus Christ”, of which the current image of the Cristo de la Humildad (Lord seated on the Rock) was part of. This image is the oldest one that is carried in procession during Holy Week in Guadalcanal, due to the fact that in 1936 it was hidden in the well of the aforementioned hermitage. Until the 1920s, pilgrimages were made to this hermitage. On 21 March, the Señor Sentado en la Peña and the Virgen de los Dolores were taken to the church of Santa María and returned on Easter Sunday. On 11th April 1977 it was sold to Antonio Fontán Pérez.

Click here for directions